Eligible users can follow these instructions to install Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) on a personal computer. This guide covers macOS and Windows.
Note: these instructions are for personal computers only! School-owned Windows and Mac machines already have Microsoft Office installed and do not require users to log in.
Make sure you read the information about 'Iolani-managed Microsoft accounts here before installing.
Microsoft Office apps are available in a bundle on the Mac App Store. We recommend using the Mac App Store versions of Microsoft Office since the installation and app updates are handled automatically by the Mac App Store. You do not need to install all 6 apps available in the bundle; feel free to download only the apps you need (the most frequently used at 'Iolani are Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Navigate to https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/microsoft-365/id1450038993 on your Mac. This will prompt you to open the Mac App Store.
- Download the apps you wish to use.
- After the download finishes, open any of the apps. Our example uses Microsoft Word.
- Read through the prompt regarding Microsoft's privacy practices, then click "Next."
- Decide whether you want to send optional diagnostic data to Microsoft to help them improve their products. Once you've made your choice, click "Accept."
- Read through the screen that describes Microsoft's online experiences, then click "OK."
- On the Get Started page, click "Already have a subscription? Sign in."
- Enter your 'Iolani email address and click "Next."
(Skip if you do not see this screen) If you are asked to choose between a personal and a work or school account, choose "Work or school account."
- You should now see the 'Iolani Microsoft login page. Enter your 'Iolani email password here and click "Sign in."
- On the "You're All Set" screen, click "Start Using Word," read through the list of new features available, then click "Get Started."
- The app should finish opening, and you're ready to go.
Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) is supported on most computers released in the past few years running Windows 8.1 or later. Follow the instructions below to install Microsoft 365 on a personal computer running Windows.
- Navigate to https://aka.ms/office-install on your computer. Log in using your @iolani.org email and password. Note: if you are prompted to choose between a personal account and work or school account after entering your email address, choose "Work or school account."
- Under the "Office" section in "Apps & devices," click "Install Office."
- If necessary, choose a folder to save the installer file on your computer, then run the installer.
- If prompted, allow the installer to continue (you may need to enter your computer's admin password), then wait for the installer to complete. Depending on your network connection, this could take several minutes.
- Once the installer completes, follow the instructions to open Start on your computer and open one of the Microsoft applications. For this example, we will use Microsoft Word.
- Since this is your first time opening the app, you will be prompted to sign in with a Microsoft account. Click "Sign in."
- Type in your 'Iolani email address and click "Next."
- (Skip if you do not see this screen) If you are asked to choose between a personal account or a work or school account, choose "Work or school account."
- The 'Iolani Microsoft login page should appear. Enter your 'Iolani email password here and click "Sign in."
- If you want to stay logged into your Microsoft account automatically (when using other apps and websites), be sure to uncheck the option for "Allow my organization to manage my device" and click "OK." If you want to use your 'Iolani-managed Microsoft account only in Microsoft Office apps (and sign in separately to other apps and websites), click "No, sign in to this app only."
- Setup is complete, and you may now begin using the app.